Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Week 6: Tagging, Folksonomies & Technorati

I think I'm finally understanding tagging. I thought it was that clever thing you can do with pics - adding hidden messages - notes - to part of a pic. Like the nostrils - is there life up there?? Sort of thing. Well now I know better, tags and clouds of tags, amazing. So have added more tags to my blog and some hidden notes. So go see Hairy M. Can you add a note?
Went to the delicious site. Followed some of the libarary links. Do people really want to watch videos of teens talking about a book? Or is it that teens would love to make a video of themselves doing anything which can be posted and poss watched by someone else?

I'm also feeling pretty overwhelmed by the amount of info. Do people really have this much time on their hands?
Something sad just happened in my family and I want a real person to talk to. See you guys later.

Ok, back to the virtual world, where I am learning a lot of people live, learn and compose. Research still supports that healthy emotional and intellectual growth demands human contact and books still rule. Its all about touch. Yet...I see people communicating furiously across the internet daily in my library. People group around screens and laugh out loud about a posting or blog.Someone I work with rarely communicates with us directly but has a rich and communicative blog.Our website offers a great digital resources and places where people can add book reviews, rate reads, suggest purchases and contact us by email if they wish.
I want to go back to that word 'compose' because ordinary people who come to the library to use a computer are not just getting entertainment but are composing. Not just reading but writing. Not just watching but responding.
The articles I read recognize this very basic event and what it could mean for libraries in the future.
I believe we will always need books because touch is an important grounder, but in the realm of info and culture there are many paths now and libraries do have to consider how to be relevant and how to best help us all into the virtual possibilities.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Can you tell me what you did for thing 13, 14 & 15

katydid said...

HI
The articles about the future of libraries and our thought processes about our role and responsibilities were very interesting. I got caught up on the idea of people composing, actually publishing their own ideas like a book author. I've been pretty derogatory about bloggers and YouTube groupies etc, but the articles did get me thinking.